The first lighting of the tree for the holiday season was by Flippin-Prather Realty in 1927 to promote their new development, Highland Park West. The tree has been adorned with lights every holiday season since then, except during World War II and during the 1973 energy crisis. The lighting of the tree is believed to be the oldest Christmas tradition in Dallas County. (pictured below is "The Big Pecan Tree." The "Landmark Pecan Tree" now carries on the holiday tradition).