History of Town Hall

Early Beginnings

Shortly after the Town was incorporated in 1913, the Town Council authorized the purchase of a fire engine and the construction of a building to serve as an engine house for the community's fire services.

In 1924, a new Town Hall was constructed next to the engine house along Hackberry Creek. Designed by architects Otto Lang and Frank Witchell, the building reflects the Spanish Colonial Revival architectural style. Its ornate entryway and distinctive tower remain defining features of Town Hall today.

When the building opened, it housed the Town's administrative offices as well as a public auditorium.

Fire Station and Community Space

A new fire station was also built in 1924 adjacent to Town Hall. In 1930, the structure was expanded to include a library and an art gallery on the second floor. The addition was uniquely designed to span Hackberry Creek, allowing the creek to flow beneath the building.

Renovations and Expansion

Over the decades, Town Hall has undergone several renovations and modifications to accommodate the Town's evolving needs. 

The original auditorium was later renovated to create additional office and meeting space, while the former art gallery was repurposed to serve both as part of the library and as the Town Council Chambers. During subsequent renovations, Town Hall was also connected to the Department of Public Safety building to create a more integrated municipal complex. 

In 2003, the portion of the complex housing the Department of Public Safety was demolished and replaced with a larger, modern facility. Several years later, in 2008, the Highland Park Library underwent an extensive renovation.

Recent Improvements

In early 2012, the Town Council announced the Department of Public Safety and Town Hall Renovation Project. After schematic and elevation designs were approved, construction began in summer and fall of 2012. The project was completed in April 2014 and modernized the facility while preserving the historic character of the building.